Editing software is expensive, with some editing software costing north of $50 dollars a month. It can be a big turn-off for people who actually wants to learn how to make videos.
Over the past few months, I have been testing out a wide range of different applications for editing. From my research, I could only find one set program which amazed me.
HitFilm Express 4
This program does offer a paid version, but there is a free version with less features. I have been using the free version for a few weeks now and I can say it’s a great piece of kit.
The first thing I do with any video software I test how easy it is to navigate the software. This software is so easy to use, it’s like child’s play. I remember when I started to use Sony Vegas Pro 10.0, I had no idea how to do anything, with this application you simply import the clips, and there you go, trim, edit and make them into a creative masterpiece.
A few things I adore about this is editing software is:
- How easy it is to apply blurs, and color grading. It’s done within seconds. I even noticed that on the free version you can add preset 3D models to the actual timeline/ video.
- You can trim the video from within the timeline, which is a big must for someone who goes through a lot of footage. Saves a lot of time.
- You can speed-up to as fast as you’d like the video to go, similar to Adobe Premiere CC. Sadly Sony Vegas caps speed-up at 400%
These are only a few features that I love to use in HitFilm 4 Express.
With every software there are a few problems.
- The max render settings is 1080p, which isn’t a bad thing, as not many cameras can record in 1440p or even 4K.
- The software does crash at times, and at times the software doesn’t run great.
- No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t get the preview window onto my second monitor.
If you want to take it for a spin, go right ahead, it’s FREE! https://hitfilm.com/
To be honest, this software could achieve so much, if you put the time in. I really wish it was here when I first started making videos, it would be a great program to start to learn how to edit. I don’t feel as if this program would be good for a full-time video editor, or an experienced user, but someone starting up, this is a great piece of kit, and beats Movie Maker out of the water. There is better software out there such as Sony Vegas Pro 13, or Premiere CC, but they can cost a lot of money, which is why this software is so beneficial.